Our website uses cookies to enhance the visitor experience (what's a cookieCookies are small text files that are stored on your computer when you visit a website. They are mainly used as a way of improving the website functionalities or to provide more advanced statistical data.). Are you happy for us to use cookies during your visits?
Please note: continuing without making a choice equates to giving us your consent, which you can withdraw at any time via our cookies policy page.

Call us on 0208 904 2213

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand All | Collapse All

  • Q: How do I make a tax claim?

    A: You can either contact us directly and we will take you through the whole process or alternatively you can download our forms, complete them and return to us together with the documents requested.
    We will then contact you to go through the details following which we will produce a tax return, which is sent to you for approval and signature, we then forward this online (usually) to HM Revenue & Customs who will in turn process the tax return.

  • Q: How far back can I claim Tax Refunds?

    A:You are able to claim for the previous four tax years, so currently you can claim as far back as the tax year 2011/2012.

  • Q: How much Tax Refund can I get?

    A:Our average CIS Tax Refund for 2015 was £2,270 which we know to be one of highest averages achieved by any tax agent. However, your Tax Refund depends on many factors like your income, your expenses, your business mileage and the amount of tax you have already paid.
    Remember we always ensure that we get you the maximum amount you are entitled to in the shortest time possible.

  • Q: Can I only claim for one job if the others were only part time?

    A:No you have to declare your entire earnings even if you only work a part time position. All income must be declared to HM Revenue & Customs.

  • Q: Can you take over my rebate if it has been sent to the Taxman and they are taking a long time?

    A:Yes we can, just contact us today and we will tell what you need to do.

  • Q: Do I have to file a tax return?

    A:If you are a CIS construction worker or tradesman, you have to file an annual tax return called a self-assessment tax return. The tax office will automatically send you a self-assessment tax return each year in April, when the tax year ends and if you receive one you must fill it out even if you don't think you need to. If you don't send it back you may have to pay penalties.
    Some others who are required to submit a tax return.
    Directors of Ltd companies (Generally)
    High-income earners

  • Q: How do I authorise you as my agent?

    A:We can send you a short authorisation form either by post or by email. Alternatively, you can download it from here.

    You will need to complete this and send it back to us before we can claim

  • Q: How do I know if I am paying emergency tax?

    A:If there is a suffix or prefix on your code then you have an emergency code. The most common are; W1, M1, BR, X, WK1, MTN1.

  • Q: What are your opening hours?

    A:Our website is active 24 hours a day, you can sign up, download and complete our forms whenever convenient to you. There are options for contacting us in the website, via email, text or call back. If you need to speak to us more urgently, please call us on 0208 9042213. Our office is open not only during office hours but also most evenings and Saturdays. If you find our number engaged please leave a message and we will call you back as soon as possible.

  • Q: What does No Refund No Fee mean?

    A:Our No Refund No Fee policy applies only to PAYE construction works and tradesmen, if we are unable to obtain a Tax Refund for you, we do not charge you for our work.

  • Q: Who are HMRC?

    A:HMRC stands for Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs and they are the government department responsible for the collection of taxes in the UK. They are invariably called, HM Revenue & Customs, the Inland Revenue or simply the Taxman.

  • Q: How will I receive my Tax Refund?

    A:HMRC will send your Tax Refund either to our nominated client bank account or more unusually, by cheque to us. Our client account is dedicated specifically to hold our clients' money and is subject to very strict controls so you can be assured that your money will be safe. Our agreed fee is deducted from the refund we receive from HMRC and within 24 hours of cleared funds, the remainder will be sent to you by cheque or paid directly into your bank account.
    You will also receive a letter from HMRC confirming the amount of your refund and where they sent it so you are kept informed at all times.

  • Q: I am not a UK citizen but have paid tax and left the UK am I entitled to a refund?

    A:If you have worked legally in the UK and had tax deducted under CIS then you are still required to fill in a tax return and it is likely you will be due a refund.

  • Q: Under what circumstances would I be most likely to get a Tax Refund?

    A:There is more chance of receiving a Tax Refund if you are on the wrong tax code, paying emergency tax, have not worked the full tax year, worked in the construction industry on a CIS basis, travel to temporary workplaces if you are a PAYE employee.

  • Q: What's the difference between a P60, P45 and a CIS?

    A:A P60 is a statement of income and tax to the end of the tax year which companies give to their employees who are still in their employment at the end of the tax year. Please note that your final payslip for each company will contain similar information.
    A P45 is a statement of income and tax given to an employee when they leave a company. Please note that your final payslip for each company will contain similar information.
    A CIS is a Construction Industry Scheme tax document given by contractors to their sub-contractors either by month or by individual payment showing the gross payment, tax deducted and net payment received.

  • Q: What is the deadline for claiming my CIS Tax Refund?

    A:The deadline for your 2014/15 tax return was 31st January 2016. If you haven't submitted your tax return to HMRC by this deadline you will be issued with a £100 penalty for late tax return. Automatic daily penalties have now also been introduced and will start to commence on the 1st May 2016 at the rate of £10 per day. Further penalties throughout the 1st year will add up to £1,600 even if you don't owe HMRC one penny. These penalties are extremely harsh and very difficult to defend. If you haven't managed to complete your tax return and claim your CIS Tax Refund by the deadline we can help you to bring you up to date and get your Tax Refund. So far, the £100 penalty may be manageable but don't delay any further, avoid incurring more penalties, contact us now.

  • Q: I work on a CIS basis in the construction industry. Can I claim tax back?

    A:Of course, on a CIS basis you are taxed at a very high rate (20%) and allocated no free tax allowances. You can also claim fully for any work related expenses such as travelling expenses, telephone, tools, clothing, accountant fees, using your home for work etc.

  • Q: I lost/never got my payslips or vouchers - what do I do?

    A:This is a common issue however but we will still be able to complete your tax return from other information sources such as your bank statements, asking the contractors you worked for, asking HMRC for information though they are becoming less willing to assist. We make no additional charges for obtaining this information from sources other than you. However, we would strongly advise that you make a point of retaining all your work documents in the future if only to facilitate speedier refunds.

  • Q: I don't have receipts or invoices for some or all of my expenses?

    A:This is another common issue we come across. In practice HMRC are willing to accept claims for deductions which can be shown to be reasonable and can be seen to relate to your work activities. However, we would strongly advise that you make a point of retaining all your work receipts in the future if only to facilitate speedier refunds.

  • Q: How long does it take to receive my refund?

    A:Usually between 3 and 4 weeks for CIS contractors from the time your tax return is submitted to HMRC.
    It can take slightly longer if your return is selected for security and 1 in about 20 returns are so selected.
    Rest assured that we will do everything we possibly can to speed up your Tax Refund and we will keep chasing HMRC until they release your refund. This is in our interest too as we don't get paid until you do.

  • Q: I am a CIS construction worker, what are your fees?

    A:For CIS self employed contractors our annual fee is a fixed £195 including VAT. If you have multiple years, we are happy to offer a discount. Please remember that we do not ask for fees upfront but instead take them once your refund is received from HMRC. In the rare occasions where no refund is paid, we will agree the payment process with you in advance of us proceeding.

  • Q: Can I claim a Tax Refund myself?

    A:Yes, you can complete your own tax return on paper or online through HMRC's own website. But you will need to know the correct process because if you are not familiar with the tax system, you will find each stage extremely time consuming and somewhat confusing. What's involved is highly technical and complex, however we have over 15 years experience in what we do, we have specialised tax systems which enable us to link directly into HMRC. This makes the whole process much quicker and most likely will secure you a higher refund than you would receive by completing the tax return yourself.

  • Q: I am a construction worker on PAYE, how do I qualify for a refund?

    A:If you are, or have been, employed by a company for the last 4 years, drive your own vehicle or use public transport to and from temporary workplaces, then you may be eligible to claim. If you want us to help you through the process, please contact us here.

  • Q: I am a construction worker on PAYE, how much refund will I get back?

    A:This all depends on the number of miles you have driven to temporary workplaces, obviously the more miles you drive the larger the potential refund. Our average refund during the past year was over £2,000 per taxpayer, this generally included four years of claims.

    If you travel by train or by tube, the claim is likely to be smaller but still worth claiming for. Also, remember that if your employer re-imbursed you for any travelling expenses, have to be deducted from any claim.

  • Q: I am a construction worker on PAYE, what is a temporary workplace?

    A:A workplace could be regarded a temporary workplace if an employee goes to work there for a period of up to 24 months .. but..but.. there are many rules and regulations around what exactly constitutes a temporary workplace. The big advantage of having your place of work treated as a temporary workplace is that it enables you to claim for your travel expenses between your home and your workplace.

  • Q: I am a construction worker on PAYE, what type of receipts and other information should I hold?

    A:Mileage claims are based on miles travelled, so maintaining a log of your mileage is desirable. However, if you don't have a log we can work with you to set one up based on your work records. As regards specific receipts, petrol receipts are not needed but if using public transport you will need to retain your travel receipts. If you are making additional claims for lodging or other work expenses such as tools and equipment, it is essential to retain receipts for these also.

  • Q: I am a construction worker on PAYE, what are your fees?

    A:For PAYE claims, we offer our services on a No Refund No Fee basis and our fees for successful claims is 20% including VAT. Our PAYE service does not impose a minimum fee or additional administrative or handling fee which is common with many other tax agents. Please also note that we don't ask for any upfront fees, instead we take them once we receive your refund from HMRC.

  • Q: I am a construction worker on PAYE, what documents do I need to provide in order to make a claim?

    A:Ideally we would like to receive all of the following:-
    P60s or P45s for the years you are claiming
    P11D for the tax years concerned, if you have been given them
    Addresses of all your workplaces for the years you are claiming
    Duration at each of your workplaces for the years you are claiming
    Mileage log or mileage details for each year being claimed
    Travel receipts if travel by public transport
    Contract of employment
    MOTs or service records if making mileage claims
    Proof of ID - Photo ID (either driving licence or passport)

  • Q: I am a construction worker on PAYE, what if I cannot remember all of the sites or places where I worked?

    A:You should gather up all the information you can from, diaries, time sheets, petrol receipts, all of which can help you put together a record of the sites or places you were working. Also, you could go back to your employers who should be able to provide you with your site history. If you have not kept any records or unable to get any, please contact us regardless as we are confident we can help you get the information required.

  • Q: Who are Emerald Tax Refunds?

    A:Emerald Tax Refunds is a trading name of Emerald Accounting Services and we are simply a tax agent and accountants with the following accreditations:-
    Registered HMRC agent number G9914N working on behalf of tax payers to obtain maximum Tax Refunds. Registered under the Date Protection Act licence number Z9937666 dedicated to protecting client information.
    Registered with Association of Certified Accountants as a tax and accounting practice.
    We have professional indemnity insurance protecting you against any errors on our part.
    All tax claims submitted by Emerald Tax Refunds are overseen by a qualified ACCA accountant.

  • Q: What happens after I have submitted your downloaded forms to you?

    A:After you complete and submit our forms, we will verify your identity for security reasons, submit a request to HMRC to act on your behalf, use the information supplied plus additional information we may need to contact you for, prepare your tax return or tax claim and secure your maximum refund due.

  • Q: When can I claim my CIS or PAYE Tax Refund?

    A:You can claim your Tax Refund once the tax year ends on 5 April each year and you have a maximum of four years in which to claim any Tax Refund.

  • Q: Why should I use Emerald Tax Refunds as my tax agent?

    A:At Emerald, we have over 20 years experience of obtaining maximum refunds for our satisfied clients. At an average CIS refund of £2,270 for 2015, we consider ourselves market leaders in our field. We are always mindful that the most important consideration of our clients is to secure for them the maximum return allowable in the shortest period of time. We offer one of the most competitive rates available as well as a professional and friendly service. Why delay more, please contact us now.

  • Q: You seem to be offering so much that I'm just not used to from my present accountant. How do I know you will deliver?

    A: All we can say is that as accountants, you'd expect us to be a bit analytical, which is true. As such do you really think we would offer you something we couldn't deliver that is backed up by our 100% risk free guarantee. Our clients are used to this level of service. You are also more than welcome to speak with some of our existing clients who have the experience of our service.

  • Q: Why do you offer something as valuable as the Complete Business Development Guide for FREE to new clients?

    A: Please don't be deceived by this and think it is of minimal value. The reason is it is already written and is in electronic format so we have minimal production costs. Another very important reason is that if it helps make a success of your business, you will remain a client for longer!

Next Step:

Please contact us if you need further advice, have any questions about our services, would like a fixed fee quote.